Thursday 5 January 2012

SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!


After a few days back in Cham, I’m beginning to get a grip on what’s happening with the snow. The first thing to say is that there is LOADS!!! When I walk out of the front door the snow all around the house is about my chest height (admittedly this is waist height for most people), and there’s even more in the mountains.

So far I’ve had a day at Brevent (superb, and complete cover right down to town with no rocky bits), Le Tour (incredible snow but we had poor visibility) and Courmayeur (awesome snow high up but heavy and crusty towards the bottom).

The weather remains pretty unsettled so touring opportunities have been limited, but I’m keen to get some extreme shuffling done as soon as possible and will hopefully have some reports by the end of the weekend.
I’m afraid I have no idea what ice climbing conditions are like, but what would possess anyone to go climbing when the skiing is this good, I’ve got no idea!

Another 4 ski days coming up now – it’s a hard life. Here’s some photos – 


Matt and Tristan at Brevent, the Drus behind.


Not a bad view to wake up to.


Jack, Matt, Tristan and Me all looking snowy and a bit knackered after a massive Courmayeur powder day.